Other Financial Support

This section discusses programs and services administered by Stanford University's Financial Aid Offices and Student Services Center for graduate students. This information is intended for school and department administrators who work most closely with graduate students and are in the best position to provide coordination and guidance regarding funding resources.

This section includes information about:

External Funding


Third-Party Contract (TPC) billing is available for sponsors who require an invoice to pay on a student's behalf. The TPC service is intended for government agencies and corporations that support one or more Stanford students on an ongoing basis. Billing and accounts receivable maintenance for TPC is handled by Student Financial Services. Staff with GFS access can run the Third Party Contracts Report (PS_GFS034) in BI to see the funding students are scheduled to receive through the TPC process. Funding is entered in GFS as Information Only aid lines by Schools/Departments to ensure coordination with other forms of aid.

For questions about third-party billing, please send a HelpSU ticket. Choose Request Category: "Student Services," Request Type: "Third Party Contracts."


When departments receive funds that are intended to be applied to the charges of individual graduate students, these funds should be forwarded to the Financial Aid Office. Such funds are not gifts or income to the University; as such, they should not be put into departmental gift funds or other accounts that incur administrative charges. The Financial Aid Office enters the funding information into GFS before forwarding the money to the Student Services Center, where the funds are applied to individual student accounts.

Questions, forms or documentation related to external funding may be directed to Mariko Joplin at marikoj@stanford.edu or faxed to (650) 725-0540.


Graduate students who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens may be eligible to borrow federal student loan funds. Loans may cover direct educational expenses and allowances for indirect costs such as rent, food, transportation and dependent care. Loan funds are generally NOT available to cover such expenses as consumer debt payments, job search costs or relocation expenses. Please note that loan eligibility can be affected by other funding, including departmental or external support.

The most commonly used federal student loan programs are:

  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Direct Loan (Subsidized/Unsubsidized)
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loan

All of these loan programs require enrollment at the half-time level (six units) or above to retain eligibility (note: TGR status is considered to be full-time). Borrowers may defer monthly payments until after leaving school. Additional information about the federal loan programs can be found at http://financialaid.stanford.edu/grad/funding/. Students may also apply for private/alternative education loans to supplement federal student loans.

To be considered for loan eligibility, students must file a new application each academic year. Graduate students in the Schools of Earth Sciences, Education, Engineering, Humanities & Sciences and Medicine (Ph.D. only) can find federal student loan application instructions at http://financialaid.stanford.edu/grad/apply/. Students in the Graduate School of Business, Law School and Medical School (M.D. only) should consult their schools' own financial aid offices for instructions.

Although international students are not eligible for federal loans, students with exceptional issues may be referred to the Financial Aid Office to discuss their options.

Federal Work-Study

A limited number of graduate students in the Schools of Engineering, Humanities & Sciences and Medicine (M.D.) may be eligible for research or teaching assistantships through the Federal Work-Study (FWS) program. Information on the FWS assistantship application process for graduate students in Engineering or Humanities & Sciences is available at http://financialaid.stanford.edu/grad/funding/fws.html. M.D. students should contact the Medical School Financial Aid Office for information.

Students in the Schools of Education and Law may be eligible for hourly Federal Work-Study jobs with community-service organizations. Students should contact their school for information.

The FWS program requires an institutional matching component. For FWS research and teaching assistantships, schools and departments provide tuition allowance (TAL) as the institutional match. For FWS hourly employment, the institutional match portion of wages is provided by the Provost's Office. The availability of Federal Work-Study funds for graduate students in various programs is established annually by the Financial Aid Offices in cooperation with the Schools. Funds are limited by the annual federal funds allocation.

Payroll Deduction

Graduate students with research or teaching assistantships may be eligible to pay charges on their University bill via payroll deduction. A portion of the assistantship wages for each semi-monthly pay period is deducted and applied to the University bill. Students must enroll in payroll deduction by the quarterly deadline to avoid late payment fees. Information and enrollment instructions for payroll deduction are available at http://fingate.stanford.edu/students/universbill/payTuition_payded.html.

Short-Term Funding

Cash Advances

When expected funds such as loan disbursements or external awards are not ready by the start of the quarter, graduate students may need cash to cover immediate expenses. These students may contact the Student Services Center to request an advance on the expected funds. A cash advance generally ranges from $100 to $500 and may not be used to pay outstanding University bills. The advance must be repaid during the current term and is interest-free if repaid on time.


Students may also charge up to $1,000 per quarter at the Stanford Bookstore and other campus locations by enrolling in the StanfordCardPlan program. The charges are added directly to the student's University bill. StanfordCardPlan information and enrollment instructions are available at http://fingate.stanford.edu/students/universbill/stanfordcardplan.html.

Emergency Funding

Emergency Grant-in-Aid Funds

Emergency Grant-in-Aid Funds assist graduate students in the Schools of Earth Sciences, Education, Engineering, Humanities & Sciences and Medicine (Ph.D. only) who experience a financial emergency or unanticipated expenses (e.g., medical, dental, or legal) causing financial hardship. This program is designed to assist those who cannot reasonably resolve their financial difficulty through fellowships or loans. Awards are made in the amount of actual expenses up to $5,000. The program is administered by the Financial Aid Office. For more detailed information and application procedures please refer to the Emergency Grant-in-Aid instructions and application form at http://financialaid.stanford.edu/pdf/EmergencyGrant-In-Aid.pdf . Students in the Graduate School of Business, Law School and Medical School (M.D.) should contact the financial aid offices at their schools for information about emergency funding options.

Graduate Student Aid Fund

The Graduate Student Aid Fund has been established to assist a limited number of graduate students in the Schools of Earth Sciences, Education, Engineering, Humanities & Sciences and Medicine (Ph.D. only) with University fees such as the Campus Health Service Fee and Cardinal Care Insurance when those fees cause a significant hardship. Students who demonstrate need will be eligible for small amounts to cover specific charges. For more detailed information and application procedures please refer to the Graduate Student Aid Fund instructions and application form.

Updated on March 17, 2015 8:24 AM