Deadlines and Information
1. Aid Year Activation for 2017-2018
We are preparing GFS for 2017-2018 entry and anticipate having the system available for you on Tuesday, August 1, 2017. Students must be Aid Year Activated for the 2018 Aid Year before aid can be entered. Aid Year Activation establishes the student's TAL Category and Home Department. The FAO will batch Aid Year Activate all active students (including PostDocs) before Tuesday morning. The batch process assigns TAL Categories based on the student's billing status for Autumn 2017-2018. Please review the Aid Year Activation for your students; you may still need to update or add Aid Year Activation for students whose status may be changing, e.g. from GR to TGR. There may also be home department issues for students with active programs in multiple departments. It is much easier to make Aid Year Activation changes before aid is entered.
2. Graduate Cardinal Care Subsidy
The basics of the Cardinal Care subsidy program will remain the same as this past year. General information about Cardinal Care is at the Vaden Health Center website and information about the subsidy. The FAO will begin running the batch process that assigns health insurance subsidies on Tuesday, August 1, 2017 so students will be able to see the anticipated aid on their student accounts.
3. Visiting Student Researchers
A reminder about the monthly billing cycle for Visiting Student Researchers - their September charges will appear on their Autumn 2017-2018 student account. Their September support must be entered in GFS in the 2018 Aid Year to appear correctly on their account. Other categories of non-matriculated students (PostDocs included) still require aid for September to be entered in the Summer term of the 2017 Aid Year.
- Autumn Quarter disbursements to student accounts will begin on Saturday, 9/16/17. Students, except TGR and Honors Co-op students, must be enrolled in 8 units in order for anticipated aid to disburse to their student account.
- Batch Load GFS Aid Entries Tool Reminder
This process has been developed to allow expert users to enter multiple Fellowship Stipend (STP), Fellowship Tuition (TUT), and Assistantship Salary (AST) aid lines by uploading an excel spreadsheet rather than entering aid lines manually in GFS one by one. After loading, aid lines will be visible in the GFS Aid Entry page in Pending status. As with manual entry of aid lines, students must be correctly Aid Year Activated and all Item Types must be set up to successfully complete this process. The same rules apply to both manual entry and to the Batch Load GFS Aid Entries process. The Job Aid for loading GFS Aid Lines in batch from Excel is posted on the GFS Policy website.
- The "GFS Deadlines for Autumn Quarter" message will be sent at the end of August.
5. GFS Help
- HelpSU: File a GFS HelpSU Ticket for assistance with technical problems with GFS data entry, approval or to schedule remote on-demand support.
- Phone: UIT Service Desk at 650-725-4357 or 5-HELP (5-4357)
- Remote on-demand support: University IT Enterprise Systems provides remote on-demand support Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 2:00 pm—see the UIT website for more details.
- GFS Policy Website
Reference the GFS Policy website for additional information.